How to Change Nickname or Username on Discord? Discord is the best app for streamers and gamers to join the community. It is getting more popular like other social media to chat, text, or video chat with your friends and family. Discord provides everyone a unique username, which cannot get changed. But Discord provides us a username or nickname that we can set according to our choice.
Discord username or nickname appears on Discord servers or channels. Users can customize their nicknames on different servers or channels. These names can appear on the member’s list and the Discord server. In Discord, you can also change other member’s usernames. But the condition is server owner should have given the permission.
You can change your Username in three ways. Using account settings, server settings, and shortcodes or commands, we can change it. All the methods are easy and straightforward. Those who are interested, follow the below steps.
- 1 How to change the discord nickname on PC?
- 2 Change discord nickname using shortcode
- 3 How to change discord nickname on mobile?
- 4 Conclusion
- 5 FAQs
How to change the discord nickname on PC?
Those who are using the Desktop or Mac to run the Discord application or web client can follow the below steps to change the nickname on PC. The user interface is almost similar on both Desktop and Mac.
Method 1 – Change nickname from Account Settings
- Launch the Discord app or web client on the browser from here – www.discord.com.
- Click on the Gear icon from the bottom left to open the Settings menu.
- On the new window, you will see the Username and Email
- Hit on the Edit
- Now type your Username under the Username
- Finally, click on the Save button.
- It will appear on all the servers.
Method 2 – Change nickname for a particular server
Note one thing before we begin. The server owner should grant permission to you or others to change the nickname.
- Launch the Discord app and go to your activity page.
- Below the Discord Home icon, you can see all the servers you’ve joined.
- Click on one of them and click on the down arrow beside the server name.
- From the drop-down menu, click on the Change Nickname.
- Finally, enter your nickname and click on the Save
Change discord nickname using shortcode
Discord provides us use of shortcodes or commands to save you the hassle of clicking and scrolling through all the settings. To change the nickname on a server, click on the message box and type “/nick” followed by your nickname. There should be space between nick and your nickname.
How to change discord nickname on mobile?
We can easily change our nickname on both Android or iOS devices. The steps for both devices are precisely similar. We are telling the steps for an Android device. But these steps will follow for iOS also.
Method 1 – Change nickname from Account Settings
- Launch the Discord app and tap on the Hamburger or three horizontal lines icon from the top left corner.
- In the menu, you will see the Username and three other options.
- Tap on the Gear or Settings
- On the next screen, tap on My Account( In iOS, it will only Account ).
- Now tap on the Edit Account
- Finally, type your username and tap on the Save
Method 2 – Change server nickname through mobile
- Tap on the Hamburger icon from the top left corner.
- Now you will see all your joined servers on the extreme left side of the screen. Tap on any server where you want to change the Username.
- Now tap on the three vertical dots
- From the available options, tap on the Change Nickname.
- Finally, type your nickname and tap on the Save button.
- That’s it! You can see your updated nickname.
Nicknames on Discord are the best thing to give a brief idea about yourself to others. Interestingly, you can set a different nickname on every server. Also, if you are authorized, you can change the nicknames of others. We only focused on changing our nickname. We tried to make it easy for you to change the nicknames on a Discord server.
Question: Why can’t able to change my discord nickname?
Answer: Previously discord didn’t allow to change the nickname of the user, or moderator. But as new updates are coming discord does implementations & makes themselves more customizable in roles as well as in names. Now the user has many options like changing nickname and server name.
Often people are able to do changes, but in some conditions because of your customization in default discord setting permission, you can’t able to perform that operation. You can do one thing just set all the permission settings in default mode. After that apply the above steps one by one. Then defiantly you will overcome these discord preventing issues.
Question: How do I disable a nickname on discord?
Answer: You can disable the permissions there is an option to change nicknames in Discord Server. What you need to do is just go to under settings >> Roles. Then just toggle ON the ” Manage Nickname “ Function. So if you have some members with this permission are able to change the nickname of other members.
Question: How many times can I change your discord name?
Answer: If you want to change your username, You can change it twice per hour. But for a nickname, there are no such limits you can change anytime your nickname. Only for maintaining the discord rule, you should apply the changes in between the gap of 2 – 3 minutes. It also prevents spamming.
Question: Should I use my real name on discord?
Answer: Yes! real name always a better option. Because it helps to easily recognize by your friends and also it maintains the uniqueness of every person. As you make a discord account, by default they use your login name to display to others.
Although it totally depends on you if you want to show your real name or any customize name. For that, I members list just right click over the name and click on the “Change Nickname” option.